2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Oct 2004 02:25:05 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Ft. Dix land transfer

Fort Dix donates land to borough

By: JOSH BERNSTEIN
Burlington County Times (PA/NJ)
October 29, 2004)

WRIGHTSTOWN - Revitalization efforts took a step forward yesterday as Fort Dix turned over 47 unused acres to the borough and New Hanover Board of Education.

The deed transfer took a decade to complete due to legal complications, environmental testing, and increased security at Fort Dix following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"For the borough of Wrightstown and the school board, today is a happy day," Wrightstown Mayor Tom Harper said during a ceremony outside New Hanover School. "This is something we've been working on for about 10 years."

Saylors Pond Road, Fort Dix Street and Argonne Avenue border the site. The Army has erected a fence to separate the land from the rest of the post.

"We didn't need it anymore," Lt. Col. Victor Stephenson, post deputy commander, said. "It will be a great benefit for them, and it will not hurt us encroachment wise."

for the entire article, see
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/112-10292004-391746.html