2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Oct 2004 21:20:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Beaufort encroachment

County, military partner to stem development

By MICHAEL KERR
Beaufort Gazette (SC)
October 13, 2004

Beaufort County has partnered with the military to protect from unwanted
development about 69 acres next to Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort.

On Monday, the county agreed to pay $311,250 for development rights to
the property as part of its land conservation efforts, and to prevent
development that could interfere with the air station's mission.

The Department of Defense will reimburse the county $155,625, half the
cost of the development easement.

"The goal is compatible land use," said Marine Corps Lt. Col. Patrick
Noon, the air station's community plans and liaison officer. "We just
want to permanently ensure compatible land use so we don't end up like Oceania."

for the entire article, see
http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local_news/story/4110485p-3876789c.html