2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Aug 2004 23:13:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Buffer zones at Ft. Carson, elsewhere

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpaVxieSbnA7rua/OmahaSteaks

Appeasement through easement
For Nature Conservancy, Ft. Carson, ranchers, it's "win-win-win" option

By Erin Emery
Denver Post
August 20, 2004

Fort Carson - The Nature Conservancy and Fort Carson are working with a
southern Colorado ranching family to forever protect the southern and
southeastern borders of Fort Carson from encroaching development.

The group wants conservation easements along 17 miles of fence line on
Fort Carson's south and southeast sides. The easements would prevent the
owners - cattle ranchers Gary Walker and his father, Bob Walker - from
subdividing the property.

Both Walkers favor the idea.

"It is a win-win-win situation. Tell me who the losers are," said Gary
Walker, 58, who owns 30,000 acres on the south side of Fort Carson.

His father agrees.

"I'll work something with them because I think they need it," said Bob
Walker, 87, a cattle rancher for 50 years who owns 20,000 acres along
Fort Carson's southeast side.

The conservancy estimates it will cost between $20 million and $30
million to establish easements along the southern end of Fort Carson.

Across the nation, development has crept closer and closer to military
land. The conservancy has already helped solve problems at Fort Bliss,
N.C., and Fort Huachuca, Ariz.

for the entire article, see
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2346721,00.html

Amazing Diet Patch