2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Jul 2004 04:06:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: perchlorate funding

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs. All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdaVxieSbnA7rua/411Web

Pombo perchlorate bill passes House panel

July 16, 2004

Legislation that would provide $25 million to the Santa Clara Valley Water District so it can more quickly deal with perchlorate contamination in a groundwater basin serving south Santa Clara County has won approval of a key Congressional committee.

The legislation - approved Wednesday by the House Committee on Resources - would fund projects to restore clean, safe drinking water to thousands of people whose wells have been affected by perchlorate, a chemical used to manufacture road flares and rocket fuel, before completion of what is expected to be a decades-long cleanup of the groundwater basin.

Authored by Rep. Richard Pombo, R-Stockton, the legislation is in response to discovery 18 months ago of an underground perchlorate plume that originated from a former Olin Corp. road flare-manufacturing site in Morgan Hill. Pombo's district includes Morgan Hill.

The plume stretches 10 miles south through the unincorporated area of San Martin and to the northern boundary of Gilroy’s city limits.

"We know Olin will live up to its responsibility to clean up the contamination, but it's going to take several years, even decades," said Joe Judge, chairman of the water district board of directors. "From the day we found the plume, the water district’s focus has been, and continues to be, on restoring use of the nearly 800 wells affected by perchlorate."

for the entire article, see
http://morganhilltimes.com/news/newsview.asp?c=115557