2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Jun 2004 03:21:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Dr. says he suffered Umatilla nerve gas exposure

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caaclxSaVxieSa8wsBba/OmahaSteaks

Doctor: I also suffered Umatilla contamination

By WILLIAM McCALL
Associated Press (Corvallis Gazette-Times, OR)

PORTLAND - A doctor testified Tuesday he suffered symptoms of possible
nerve gas exposure when he treated three construction workers evacuated
from the Umatilla Chemical Depot nearly five years ago.

Dr. Joseph Gifford told a federal judge he was called to the emergency
room at Good Shepherd Medical Center in Hermiston on Sept. 15, 1999, to
help treat dozens of workers who were stricken at the site, which houses
an incinerator slated to be used to destroy part of the nation's
stockpile of aging chemical weapons.

Gifford's testimony came Tuesday, in the second phase of a trial for 49
construction workers who sued the Army after they became violently ill
while working on the incinerator.

The doctor testified he believed he may have suffered secondary
contamination from the clothing worn by the three patients he treated.
Gifford said he suffered a variety of symptoms - including nausea,
coughing, dizziness, chest pain and a foul taste in his mouth - which he
said could be traced to the nerve gas sarin.

for the entire article, see
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2004/06/16/news/oregon/wedore01.txt

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXaVxieSa8wsBbf/ExpertCity