2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Jun 2004 13:09:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Army Corps Issues New Guidance for FUDS Program

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro provides your organization with instant remote access to email,files, applications and network resources in real time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTaVxieSa8wsBba/ExpertCity

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers News Release Contact: Can dace Walters 202-528-4285 Candace.S.Walters@usace.army.nil

Corps Now Using New Engineer Regulation for FUDS Program

Washington, DC, June 16, 2004 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is now using a new Engineer Regulation to manage the Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Program.

Engineer Regulation 200-3-1 on FUDS Program Policy replaces guidance, formerly called the FUDS Manual.

The new ER incorporates many changes and recommendations from the Department of Defense's Management Guidance for the Defense Environmental Response Program, EPA and the Association of States and Territorial Solid Waste Management Officials.

"This is a definite step forward in ensuring the FUDS Program is aligned with other Department of Defense cleanup programs and coordination with EPA and the states is increased," said Ray Fatz, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Environment, Safety and Occupational Health).

"The need to revise the olds FUDS Manual was one of the initiatives identified by the FUDS Forum that includes representatives from EPA and the states," he said. "It will enhance our coordination and consultation with all our stakeholders and regulators.

"I'm very pleased the new ER is in place," Fatz said.

It took more than two years for the Corps to write the new ER.

"We had a workgroup, under the leadership of Julian Chu, a FUDS policy and planning expert, that wrote the ER and then resolved comments. We had more than 3,000 comments to resolve," said Robert Lubbert, Corps national program manager for the FUDS Program.

"The key thing is that the FUDS Program is now executed in accordance with the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, the National Contingency Plan, and the DERP guidance," Lubbert said.

The new ER:

1. Addresses many recommendations from Government Accounting Office audit reports;

2. Adds new checklists to Inventory Project Report preparation as well as generic notification guidance on new properties;

3. Further acknowledges the role of the lead regulatory agency as a key member of the FUDS project team;

4. Incorporates the latest FUDS policy initiatives including the development of statewide management action plans;

5. Adds the Preliminary Assessment phase to the FUDS determination process where potential toxic substances or military munitions projects are identified at eligible FUDS properties;

6. Emphasizes public involvement in FUDS response actions.

ER 200-3-1 can be found at:
 http://www.usace.army.mil/inet/usace-docs/eng-regs/er200-3-1/toc.htm

-- END --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aimee R. Houghton
Associate Director, CPEO
1101 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC  20036
tel: 202-452-8039; fax: 202-452-8095
Email: aimeeh@cpeo.org
www.cpeo.org

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase productivity with a secure remote-access solution from GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXaVxieSa8wsBbf/ExpertCity

CPEO: A DECADE OF SUCCESS. Your generous support will ensure that our important work on military and environmental issues will continue. Please consider one of our donation options. Thank you.