2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Jun 2004 06:56:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Revised Operational Range Directive

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTaVxieSa8wsBba/ExpertCity

On May 10, 2004, Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz signed off
on a new version of Directive 4715.11, "Environmental and Explosives
Safety Management on Operational Ranges Within the United States."

Section 5.4.15 of the Directive contains the substance of the change
from the original, August 17, 1999 version:

"5.4.15. Where prior hydrologic and hydrogeologic assessments create a
reasonable belief that munitions constituents may migrate off an
operational range, conduct an additional, appropriate assessment,
including testing and analysis, as necessary, to determine whether a
release or substantial threat of a release of munitions constituents
from an operational range to off-range areas has occurred or is about to occur."

Here's what I told Defense Environmental Alert:

"This new language describes a new requirement that might help at a few
of the worst sites, where off-site migration has already occurred. But
it appears, like the rejected 'RRPI' legislative language, designed to
give the military special treatment. Other potential responsible parties
are often required to investigate contamination, long before it is
likely to leave their property.

"To prevent permanent environmental damage, it's generally necessary to
assess and sometimes it's necessary to remediate hazardous substances
once they have been released, even if they are not likely to cross
property boundaries.

"This policy would allow contamination to spread over large range areas,
making it much more difficult to address later. Also, with the prospect
of ranges being closed in the future, uncontrolled pollution could make
new uses or property transfers difficult.

"Finally, by directing the same policy for inactive ranges and buffer
zones as for live impact areas, the directive goes beyond what the
Defense Department claims its readiness needs are."

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1aVxieSa8wsBbf/UOP