2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Jun 2004 05:01:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Paducah CA supports DOE cleanup plan

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXaVxieSa8wsBba/ExpertCity

Panel supports plant cleanup plan

The plan, out for public comment through July 16, uses electrical
resistance to heat the ground below the surface and vacuum out vaporized
contamination.

By Joe Walker
Paducah Sun (KY)
June 4, 2004

A watchdog group supports cleaning up the main source of groundwater
pollution at the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant even if it won't come
close to cleansing the 10-billion-gallon aquifer that extends to the
Ohio River.

Bill Tanner, chairman of the plant's Citizens Advisory Board, said the
cleanup plan is pleasing in light of board concerns that the Department
of Energy wants to spend less to clean up the 52-year-old uranium
enrichment plant. Earlier this year, DOE released a document to base
cleanup on hazards and health risks - a move Tanner said fell well short
of protecting the public and making the plant safe enough for other
industry to use once it closes starting in 2010.

Under the new approach, DOE could have argued that the planned source
removal would have little effect on groundwater contamination that will
last "hundreds or thousands of years," Tanner said. "We realize there
isn't enough technology or money to clean up the aquifer, but we need to
help Mother Nature out as best we can."

The plan, out for public comment through July 16, would use electrical
resistance to heat the ground far below the surface and vacuum out
vaporized contamination for carbon-filter or oxidation treatment.

?

for the entire article, see
http://www.paducahsun.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/200406/04+0juI_business.html+20040604+business

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqQaVxieSa8wsBbf/Discover Card