2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 May 2004 15:38:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Bacteria survive at Hanford

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacf0DaVxieSbnA7rua/ Discover Card
Bacteria found in Hanford waste

Toxic radioactive soil below leaking tank unlikely place for life

By TOM PAULSON
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
May 26, 2004

Scientists studying the soil beneath a leaking Hanford nuclear waste
storage tank have discovered more than 100 species of bacteria living in
a toxic, radioactive environment that most would have thought
inhospitable to all forms of life.

"Even in some of the most contaminated zones, we found a few living
organisms," said Fred Brockman, a microbial ecologist at the Pacific
Northwest National Laboratory in Richland. Brockman is presenting the
findings today at the American Society for Microbiology's annual meeting
in New Orleans.

For most living creatures, the nuclear and chemical waste in the
underground storage tanks on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation is the
deadliest mixture of toxins and radioactive muck on the planet.

For certain bacteria, however, this toxic goop left over from decades of
nuclear weapons production appears to be just a second home.

for the entire article, see
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/175015_bugs26.html

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMVaVxieSbnA7ruf/ ExpertCity