2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 May 2004 21:09:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: North Carolina legislation

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
http://click.topica.com/caaceBcaVxieSa8wsBba/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Legislature readies pitch to Pentagon

BARRY SMITH
Jacksonville Daily News (NC)
May 21, 2004

RALEIGH - Knowing that the next round of military base closings is just
around the corner, a legislative committee has recommended a handful of
bills in an attempt to show the Pentagon that North Carolina is military
friendly.

"We want the military to know that North Carolina has the welcome sign
out," said Rep. Michael Gorman, R-Craven, a member of the Joint Select
Committee on Military affairs.

"We're trying to position our bases to receive training and equipment
and exercises from bases that might feel the ax from the BRAC (Base
Realignment and Closure) process," said Sen. Cecil Hargett, D-Onslow,
who co-chairs the committee.

The proposed legislation includes:

* About $5 million to acquire land near military bases to guard against
encroachment from development.

*  Allowing reservists and guardsmen to attend North Carolina
universities and community colleges and pay in-state tuition.

*  A rebate of some of the state gas taxes paid on bases to those
military bases. The bases could use the money for recreation programs,
family assistance programs or other quality of life programs.

* A requirement that local governments give notice to military bases of
proposed changes to planning ordinances that affect property near a
military installation.

for the entire article, see
http://www.jdnews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=22791&Section=News

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMSaVxieSa8wsBbf/ ExpertCity