2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 May 2004 01:29:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Pombo proposes federal funding for perchlorate cleanup

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMVaVxieSa8wsBba/ ExpertCity

Bill would fund groundwater cleanup in Santa Clara Valley

By ERICA WERNER
Associated Press [The Herald Tribune (FL)]
May 20, 2004

WASHINGTON - Rep. Richard Pombo wants the federal government to bear
some of the cost of cleaning up groundwater in the Santa Clara Valley
that's contaminated with perchlorate.

The Tracy Republican, who chairs the House Resources Committee,
introduced a bill Thursday that would provide $25 million in federal
funds for cleanup costs. Local authorities would be required to provide
matching funds of 35 percent.

"Perchlorate has been the No. 1 issue on people's minds in Santa Clara
County for quite a while, and it's become a serious quality-of-life
issue," Pombo said in a statement. "We know it's there and we need to
get it cleaned up."

A spokesman for the Santa Clara Valley Water District welcomed the
legislation. The district last year discovered perchlorate in its
groundwater basin, which serves some 80,000 residents of Morgan Hill,
Gilroy and an unincorporated community in between.

for the entire article, see
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040520/APN/405201095

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMSaVxieSa8wsBbf/ ExpertCity