2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 May 2004 17:51:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Blumenauer Seeks Increased Cleanup Funding for UXO

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card 0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus® award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and secure. http://click.topica.com/caacf0DaVxieSa8wsBba/ Discover Card

May 20, 2004

The Honorable Jerry Lewis, Chairman The Honorable John Murtha, Ranking Member

Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense

H-149 Capitol 1016 Longworth HOB

Washington, DC 20515 Washington, DC 20515

Dear Chairman Lewis and Ranking Member Murtha:

As you develop the FY05 Defense Appropriations bill, we urge you to increase funding for the clean up of unexploded ordnance (UXO) on former Department of Defense sites. It is our understanding that the administration has requested $100 million for domestic UXO munitions response in the Defense Environmental Response Account for FY 2005. In line with a recommendation from the January 2004 Defense Science Board Task Force on Unexploded Ordnance, created by the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense, we request that this funding be doubled, to a total of $200 million.

We also request that you support an increase in funding for UXO research and development accounts to more quickly develop safer and cheaper technology for dealing with UXO. A relatively small increase in current investment could save tens of billions of dollars in UXO costs over the mid to far term. The Defense Science Board has recommended a doubling of UXO Research and Development funding to a total of $80 million.

Among the many threats to the security and safety of the American people, the hazard of unexploded ordnance (UXO) - bombs and shells that failed to explode during military training or testing - may be found on or buried under the surface of more than 39 million acres of former military properties. UXO can be found in almost every congressional district across the country. Failure or delay in cleaning up these sites poses a serious threat to the security and safety of the American people.

In addition to the Defense Science Board Task Force, a recent General Accounting Report also underlines the importance of fully funding UXO cleanup efforts. In January of 2004, the GAO found that at the current rate of funding, removing unexploded munitions and hazardous waste could take more than 300 years. The Department of Defense's latest estimate for the cost of cleanup is anywhere from $23 billion to $104 billion. Cleaning up these areas will allow us to return millions of acres to communities and local tax rolls or create scenic and recreational open space.

Increased funding can also help to stimulate the growth of a healthy, competitive private sector that will help develop innovations and focus resources on cleanup. In turn, stimulating private industry will increase its investments in new technologies that, when combined with government investments, will result in safer, more cost-effective solutions and technologies to help clean up these UXO sites.

Thank you for your attention to this critical matter. We appreciate your consideration and look forward to working with you to increase UXO funding in the FY05 Defense Appropriations bill.

Sincerely,

Blumenauer, Manzullo, Farr, Gary Miller, Ed Case, Michael Honda, Jim McDermott, Barbara Lee, Tom Lantos, Tammy Baldwin, Raul Grijalva, Sue Kelly, McCollum, Jim Davis, Edward Markey, Waxman, Evans, McGovern, Delahunt, Brad Miller

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Aimee R. Houghton Associate Director, CPEO 1101 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000 Washington, DC 20036 tel: 202-452-8039; fax: 202-452-8095 Email: aimeeh@cpeo.org www.cpeo.org ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase productivity with a secure remote-access solution from GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMVaVxieSa8wsBbf/ ExpertCity

CPEO: A DECADE OF SUCCESS. Your generous support will ensure that our important work on military and environmental issues will continue. Please consider one of our donation options. Thank you.