2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 May 2004 07:03:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Florida Groundwater Pollution Site

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMSaVxieSa8wsBba/ ExpertCity

Environmental officials investigate Tallevast
Residents hope efforts will lead to changes

KEVIN O'HORAN and DANA SANCHEZ
The Herald (Bradenton, FL)
May 15, 2004

TALLEVAST - Environmental regulators and health officials rolled into
Tallevast early Friday, swarming the community to get a fix on how many
homes tap into groundwater and whether illnesses reported by residents
are linked to toxic chemicals leaked from the former American Beryllium
Co. plant.

Residents welcomed the efforts but lamented that they came more than
four years after officials first learned of contamination at the facility.

"We've had throat cancer. We've had stomach cancer. We've had liver
cancer. We've had colon cancer," said Laura Ward, president of FOCUS, a
community activist group. "We've had low-weight babies. You name it, and
we've seen it.

"The flag just hasn't gone up, though."

Two flags went up Friday. The first signaled that Florida and Manatee
County environmental officials and Lockheed Martin Corp. leaders would
check again for area wells that may draw from possibly fouled
groundwater. And the second announced that Florida health department
crews had kicked off a detailed look at the health history of the
plant's neighbors.

Both are measures pressed for by FOCUS, since they learned in October
that crews working for Lockheed Martin Corp. in early 2000 discovered
that a spill under previous ownership had released a mix of metals and
solvents onto the plant grounds and to water beneath it.

for the entire story, see
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/8671978.htm

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
http://click.topica.com/caaceBcaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises