2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 May 2004 17:59:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Camp Lejeune Panel

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
http://click.topica.com/caaceBcaVxieSa8wsBba/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Panel fields tough questions

THOMAS DAIL
Jacksonville Daily News (NC)
May 11,2004

After visiting contaminated drinking water wells closed in 1985, a panel
reviewing Camp Lejeune's five-year failure to act faced tough questions
Monday from contamination victims.

It was the panel's first tour of water systems that became contaminated
from an offsite dry cleaner and from the military's improper disposal of
industrial solvents at the base industrial area.

"We needed to see the facilities - the water plants, the closed wells,"
said Ronald Packard, a former U.S. congressman from California and
chairman of the panel.

During a post-visit press conference, one commission member, former
Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Installations and Environment Robert
Pirie, was asked about his office's attempt in 1997 to deny Defense
Department funding for a study of the contamination's health effects.

In a letter to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry,
Elsie Munsell, one of Pirie's deputies, said Superfund should pay for
the study because a civilian dry cleaners was the source of the
contamination at Tarawa Terrace. But wells at Hadnot Point were
contaminated by the military, making it also responsible for funding the
study.

for the entire story, see
http://www.jdnews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=22507&Section=News

Domains as low as $4.95!