2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 May 2004 18:20:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: South Weymouth deal

Domains as low as $4.95!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caaccM5aVxieSbnA7rua/ GoDaddy

Concerns over air base housing persist;
Developer still mum on possibility of plan for thousands of homes

By STEVE ADAMS
The Patriot Ledger (MA)
May 8, 2004

Local officials want assurances that a California real estate developer
will not be able to build a massive housing project even if local voters
say no to a new reuse plan for the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station.

An agreement signed this week is designed to speed up the transfer of
more than 600 acres to Lennar Partners next year.

Some officials are worried that Lennar could file an application under
the state's affordable-housing law, Chapter 40B, and sidestep local
concerns about thousands of new homes being built on the base after the
company takes ownership of the land.

"I hope they don't go through the entire process and then say, 'We're
going to turn around and do a 40B,'" Weymouth District 6 Councilor
Michael Smart said.

Smart asked Lennar executives about the potential for a 40B application
at a town council meeting on March 22. Although Lennar representatives
promised to provide a definitive answer, they have yet to do it.

for the entire story, see
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2004/05/08/news/news06.txt

see also:

California group lends $15M for air base:
Lennar Partners could foreclose if Tri-Town fails to get rest of land

By STEVE ADAMS
The Patriot Ledger (MA)
May 6, 2004

A California real estate corporation could end up owning a large portion
of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station if a local redevelopment
agency hasn't taken ownership of the entire base property from the U.S.
Navy by next summer.

Lennar Partners is lending $15 million to the nonprofit corporation set
up to oversee redevelopment of the air base. What happens to that
property, planners say, will impact the future of the South Shore for decades.

Under an agreement made public last night, Lennar has granted a $15
million mortgage to South Shore Tri-Town Development Corp.

The agreement could give Lennar Partners the right to foreclose on 659
acres of base land if Tri-Town Corp. has not taken ownership by Aug. 1, 2005.

for the entire story, see
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2004/05/06/news/news03.txt

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMSaVxieSbnA7ruf/ ExpertCity