2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Apr 2004 20:19:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Better Uranium Monitoring Promised

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU?s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caab6anaVxieSa8wsBba/ AIU

Hil takes brass on and G.I.s win

By RICHARD SISK in Washington
and MAKI BECKER in New York
New York Daily News
April 21, 2004

The U.S. military's top general pledged yesterday to shake up the system
to improve the screening and tracking of troops who may have been
exposed to uranium dust in the Iraq war.

"We've got to do a first-class job for our troops," said Gen. Richard Myers.

Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made his pledge when
pressed on the issue by Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) at a congressional hearing.

"You're certainly right," the general told Clinton, who demanded that
the military upgrade its methods of "medical tracking and surveillance"
to clear up the backlog in testing returning troops.

"We need to monitor to make sure we don't overlook things," Myers said.

The shortcomings in the system were exposed in a series of exclusive
reports in the Daily News after nine soldiers with the 442nd Military
Police Company of the New York Army National Guard came forward saying
they were suffering from unexplained illnesses since their tour in Iraq
last year.

An independent test conducted at The News' request found that four of
the men tested positive for depleted uranium, which because of its
heaviness is used to make shells and coat armored vehicles.

for the entire story, see
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/185906p-160988c.html

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!