2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Apr 2004 20:29:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: El Toro Sales to fund Navy BRAC cleanup?

.from Don Zweifel <dzweifel@sbcglobal.net>

To all interested parties

Be it hereby understood that yours truly promulgated the supposition
regarding what I surmised the CNO iterated as to curtailing BRAC funding
for FY 2005 as it pertains to augmenting the O & M set-aside for the war
on terrorism.

These remarks were based on whether the 2800 acres @ MCAS El Toro would
be sold in the near term.

Those proceeds were to be earmarked for BRAC funding for FY 2005 so that
Congress won't have to be asked to fund them.

I do assume full responsibility for these iterations.

Don Zweifel
Co-chair
MCAS Tustin RAB
To all interested parties

Lenny Siegel wrote:

> from Don Zweifel <dzweifel@sbcglobal.net>
>
> To all interested parties:
>
> The Department of the Navy/DON will not be asking Congress for Base
> Realignment & Closure/BRAC funding for FY 2005 if proceeds from the sale
> of 2800 acres @ former MCAS [Marine Corps Air Station] El Toro, Ca.
> generates the approximately $1  billion as expected, according to MCAS
> Tustin's BRAC Environmental  Coordinator, Jerry Dunaway
> w/SWDIVNAVFACENGCMD.[Southwest Division, Naval Facilities Engineering
> Command]
>
> The former base is scheduled to go on the auction block probably in the
> next month or two.
>
> However paraphrasing Mr. Dunaway comments, pending lawsuits contesting
> the planned reuse appear to be a potential fly in the ointment &
> therefore may have to be settled a priori in order to allow the sale to
> see the light of day in the near term.
>
> Operations & Maintenance/O & M costs associated w/continuing conflicts  in
> the Middle East should have emergency priority over practically all
> remediation & restoration funding from Congress for FY 2005,  paraphrasing
> CNO/Chief of Naval Ops.
>
> Note: Mr. Dunaway is also RAB co-chair of former MCAS Tustin.
>
> Don Zweifel
> RAB Co-chair
> Former MCAS Tustin, Ca.

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab7pJaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises