2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 18:22:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Malama Makua files suit to halt Marine training

Hawai'i
HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN
Malama Makua files suit to halt Marine training
The group opposes mortar and rocket fire set for next week
By Gregg K. Kakesako, gkakesako@starbulletin.com
March 17, 2004

A Waianae citizens group and the military are squaring off in court
again over the use of Makua Valley -- a site the group says is in need
of protection, but which the Marine Corps says is crucial to training.

About 100 Kaneohe Marines are scheduled for live-fire training in the
valley next week, prompting Malama Makua to file a lawsuit Monday to
halt the exercises, alleging they violate a federal court settlement. A
hearing is scheduled for tomorrow.

Maj. Chris Hughes, Marine Corps spokesman, said yesterday the Marines
wear "three immediate response hats," including being designated as
"quick reaction force" for the islands.

Makua Valley "is the only location on the island where they can conduct
that type of training," Hughes said.

Malama Makua contends the Army's decision allowing the Marines to use
mortars and rockets during their five days of training violates a 2001
out-of-court settlement.

Pat Simoes, Army spokeswoman, said: "All our activities comply with the
law as outlined in the settlement agreement and the Endangered Species
Act."

"We believe the proposed live-fire training can be conducted without
incident or damage to the environment or cultural assets," she said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://starbulletin.com/2004/03/17/news/story4.html