2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Mar 2004 20:13:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: National Research Council report on Pine Bluff non-stockpile disposal

News Advisory

"Army Explosive Destruction Units Offer Better Alternatives for Disposal
of Pine Bluff Arsenal Non-stockpile Munitions

"The U.S. Army is in the process of destroying its chemical weapons
stockpile and related, non-stockpile chemical materiel.  At the request
of the Army, the National Research Council (NRC) has published a number
of studies over the last 16 years providing scientific and technical
advice on that disposal effort.  This report presents an assessment of
the design of the facility intended to dispose of a large amount of
non-stockpile materiel - including 1250 recovered old chemical
weapons-at the Pine Bluff (Arkansas) Arsenal.  According to the report,
the Army should not use complex equipment inherited from discontinued
programs to dispose of these weapons.  The report also concludes that
greater use should be made of the Army's Explosive Destruction System -
specifically designed for destroying similar items recovered from ground
excavations - because it reduces processing and handling steps, and
offers easier maintenance."

To order this report, or read it on line, go to
http://books.nap.edu/catalog/10930.html

[Note: I am a member of the National Research Council Committee that
prepared this report. - LS]