2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 20:22:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Norco can't replace group

California
DAILIY BULLETIN
Norco can't replace group
State: City lacks authority to nix cleanup
By Sara A. Carter
February 20, 2004

NORCO - A move by City Council members to dismantle a community advisory
group charged with disseminating information to the public about
contamination and cleanup at Wyle Laboratories was curtailed by state
officials on Friday.

Council members upset with the progress of the current group were told
by state officials they do not have the authority to dismantle a
community advisory group organized by the state.

But the city can form its own community advisory group to work alongside
the current committee, state officials said.

"We hope the members of the council sit down with members of the
existing CAG and add members that are representative of the legislation
already in place for creating the CAG," said Ron Baker, spokesman for
the state Department of Toxic Substances Control, the agency in charge
of overseeing cleanup at Wyle.

"We don't have any intention of dismantling the existing CAG."

Wyle Labs, a 429-acre site established in Norco in 1957, tests numerous
products for the U.S. Department of Defense and aerospace industries.

Since 1985, neighbors of Wyle Labs have alleged that exposure to
hazardous materials and toxic chemicals used at the facility are linked
to a growing number of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer cases in the
area.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%257E21481%257E1969711,00.html