2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dickboyd@aol.com
Date: 9 Feb 2004 20:08:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Quality Test

In a message dated 2/6/2004 12:28:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, somebody
writes:

> He also figured he'd been shot at a goodly
> bit more during his active duty time in WWII and Korea than many of those
> who were making the big proclamations of how beautifully things worked.
>
> Somebody

There are RABs nationwide at FUDS. People in Yuba and Nevada County are on
Restoration Advisory Boards (RABs) looking into formerly used defense sites
(FUDS). Beale Air Force Base and the former Camp Beale, which was sold back to
private owners, or dedicated to Fish and Game.

Participation in RABs was what sparked the Federal Advisory Committee
question. Did you know anyone on a FAC?

In my opinion, one element of FUDS is to estimate the amount of unexploded
ordinance. Some of the ammunition was quality tested at training ranges. Sixty
years later, information should be available regarding the pass/fail tests of
batches of ammunitions. Especially interesting would be an estimate of the
number of rounds that failed to explode. A percent figure would not be very
helpful without knowing the total number of rounds fired.

Some of the ammunition was "lab" tested or mathematically checked. Some of it
may have been pencil whipped.

Probably the only person that knows how to recover the information is the
fork lift driver from "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

dickboyd@aol.com