2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Feb 2004 16:44:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: High levels of lead, dioxin at site; Facility scheduled to open in 20

California
DAILY BULLETIN
High levels of lead, dioxin at site; Facility scheduled to open in 2005
By Sara A. Carter
January 26, 2004

NORCO - Construction of a new high school is stalled because lead and
other chemical residue has been found on the site of the future campus.

The site, a former military landfill, is being investigated by the state
Department of Toxic Substance Control.

The 6 1/2-acre property on Third Street, which is situated on the
Riverside Community College campus, was given to the school district by
the college.

In November, a draft submitted by consultants for the Corona-Norco
Unified School District revealed that high levels of lead and
significant levels of dioxin, a known cancer-causing chemical, were on
the site.

"Because the levels of lead are above state standards and with the find
of toxic substances the state will make certain that the site is cleaned
before any school is built,"said Jeanne Garcia, Department of Toxic
Substances Control spokeswoman. "We will determine the extent of
contamination and then decide what needs to be done to clean it."

If the cleanup can be quickly completed, construction could begin as
early as April and the campus is expected to open in 2005. Construction
was originally scheduled to begin this past September.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%257E21481%257E1916838,00.html