2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Feb 2004 22:49:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Letter from Gov. Sebelius about Sunflower AAP

The following is a copy of a letter that went out on January 14, 2004.

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
KATHLEEN SEBELIUS, GOVERNOR

January 14, 2004

Chairman Annabeth Surbaugh
Johnson County Board of County Commissioners
Johnson County Square
Olathe, Kansas 66061-3486

Matthew J. Dennis
Kessinger/Hunter & Co.
2600 Grand Blvd., Suite 700
Kansas City, MO 64108

Dear Mr. Dennis and Chairman Surbaugh:

Based on the information I have received in recent weeks, it appears
that the Johnson County Board of Commissioners is nearing an
agreement with Kessinger/Hunter for redevelopment of the Sunflower
Army Ammunition Plant. Assuming all the final details can be worked
out, that appears to be an encouraging development. It is important
that Sunflower be put to its best, highest use for the people of
Johnson County, the greater Kansas City metropolitan area, and the
State of Kansas. I appreciate the work you have done to move this
project forward.

I am writing to again make clear my position on an important feature
of the Sunflower project. As I have stated for more than a year now,
I believe a substantial portion of the Sunflower site should be used
for a life sciences research park. A research park, as part of a
larger development, would be an engine of growth for the region for
decades to come. It would attract creative, talented people to our
region and create jobs not only for today's workers, but also for our
children and grandchildren.

Although I approved a preliminary Finding of Suitability for Early
Transfer (FOSET), this project cannot go forward unless I approve a
final FOSET. A substantial portion of the Sunflower site should be
devoted to a life sciences research park. This issue will be central
to my approval of a final FOSET. I recommend that you commence
discussions with the University of Kansas and any other interested
parties as soon as possible to develop these plans. Matt All, my
chief counsel, would be happy to participate in those discussions.

Again, thank you for the work you are doing on this project. I look
forward to working with you to develop the Sunflower site for the
people of Kansas.

Kathleen Sebelius

KGS:MDA:abr

CC: Commissioner C. Edward Peterson