2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Jan 2004 17:31:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Environmentalists Suffer Setback In Whale Sonar Battle

California
KTVU.COM
Environmentalists Suffer Setback In Whale Sonar Battle
January 13, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal judge Monday rejected environmentalists'
pleas to immediately halt testing of an experimental sonar system to
detect whales, instead setting a hearing to study the issue further.

Environmental groups had asked U.S. District Judge Samuel Conti to stop
research on the sonar, claiming it could disturb and disorient whales,
drive them from their feeding grounds and separate calves from their
mothers.

The company that designed the sonar, Scientific Solutions, of Nashua,
N.H., resumed testing earlier this month after receiving a new permit
from the National Marine Fisheries Service. It says the system is safe
and will help protect whales from dangers like ship collisions and
underwater explosions related to oil exploration.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/2758507/detail.html