2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Jan 2004 15:01:27 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Tests reveal carcinogens

The Press-Enterprise requires registration to view the following
article.  Registration is quick and free.
California
PRESS-ENTERPRISE
Tests reveal carcinogens
Wyle Labs: Low levels of the contaminants
By Paige Austin
Friday, January 9, 2004

NORCO - Low levels of cancer-causing contaminants have been found below
the residential community near Wyle Labs, according to a report released
by the state Department of Toxic Substances Control.

The low levels of hazardous waste found in the groundwater don't pose
immediate health risks to the community, state officials said Thursday.
However, many residents found the latest test results, released this
week, unsettling. Over the past year, dozens of residents have blamed
pollution at the hazardous-testing facility for their cases of thyroid
disorders and cancer. Some have filed a class-action lawsuit against the
company.

In August, an environmental engineering firm hired by Wyle drilled in
the middle of Hillside Avenue south of Norco High School for soil and
water samples. The recently released groundwater results show trace
amounts of the industrial solvent trichloroethylene as well as
perchlorate and NDMA, both components of rocket fuel. The soil tested
free of contaminants.

"We know there is contamination. We know the levels. What we are looking
at next is if there is potential for exposure," said Peter Garcia, state
Toxic Substances Control branch chief. "We'll be doing soil gas sampling
because the way you get exposed to groundwater is vapor inhalation."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.pe.com/breakingnews/local/stories/PE_News_Local_wyle09.100b9.html