2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Jan 2004 21:02:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Group outlines Stryker concerns

Hawai'i
HONOLULU ADVERTISER
Group outlines Stryker concerns
By Karen Blakeman
Posted on: Sunday, January 4, 2004

The Army is speeding ahead with its plans to install a Stryker Brigade
in Hawai'i, giving only lip service to the impact that the vehicles and
required training scenarios are likely to have on the state's
environment, the Sierra Club charged yesterday in a 32-page letter.

"We are concerned that the Army, the Pentagon and our elected leaders
are viewing the environmental review process for this project as a mere
formality instead of using it as the decision-making tool it is meant to
be," said Jeff Mikulina, director of the club's Hawai'i chapter.

The Sierra Club also accused the Army of expanding its plans for the
Stryker Brigade without properly studying the effect those changes were
likely to have on the environment. It contends that although the Army
has made progress in its stewardship of land it uses in the state,
problems with inadequate cleanup at old sites and issues such as the
recent fire in Makua Valley do not bode well for the impact of the new
Stryker Brigade.

The Army said it would carefully review the Sierra Club's comments.

The Sierra Club letter was submitted to the Army as a response to the
government's three-volume, 1,500-page draft environmental impact
statement, which was released Sept. 30. Yesterday was the last day for
the public to submit responses.

This article can be viewed at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Jan/04/ln/ln06a.html