2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Jan 2004 19:15:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Marines fencing Waikane area

Hawai'i
THE HONOLULU ADVERTISER
Marines fencing Waikane area
By Will Hoover
Posted on: Friday, January 2, 2004

The Marines have begun the task of erecting an $800,000 security fence
that will enclose 187 acres in Waikane Valley, land that was used for
decades for target practice and training, a military spokesman said.

"Construction of the fence is ongoing," said Maj. Chris Hughes of Marine
Corps Base Hawai'i in Kane'ohe. He said that within the next two weeks
crews will be transporting fencing materials via helicopter to Waikane
Valley.

The project is expected to take at least six months.

"That's the hope," Hughes said. "It's going to be a heck of a job. The
terrain is extremely challenging. We expect crews installing the fence
to encounter delays.

"It's going to be done in segments, and the high ground is going to be
the last phase to be completed."

Art Machado, chairman of the Kahalu'u Neighborhood Board, said area
residents feel strongly that the military should clean up Waikane
Valley, not merely fence it off. Machado said military officials
explained to the board at a meeting in November that the valley is too
dangerous to use for training and that it would be too expensive to
clean up.

This article can be viewed at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Jan/02/ln/ln09a.html