2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Dec 2002 17:34:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EPA says Vieques cleanup will be a priority

EPA says Vieques cleanup will be a priority
Friday, December 13, 2002
By The Associated Press

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico ? The head of the U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency pledged Thursday that the government will oversee a thorough
cleanup of the Navy bombing range on Vieques island.
Speaking during a visit to Puerto Rico, EPA Administrator Christie
Whitman said cleanup work will begin following the expected end of Navy
bombing exercises next year.

"We are going to make sure that it is safe," she told The Associated
Press in an interview. "We're going to do it right, and we're going to
do it as fast as we can."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.enn.com/news/wire-stories/2002/12/12132002/ap_49179.asp