2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Dec 2002 22:00:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] BRAC memo

A copy of the following memo was circulated on November 15, 2002.

THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
1000 DEFENSE PENTAGON
WASHINGTON, DC 20301-1000

November 15, 2002

MEMORANDUM FOR SECRETARIES OF THE MILITARY DEPARTMENTS
 CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF
 UNDER SERETARIES OF DEFENSE
 DIRECTOR, DEFENSE RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING
 ASSISTANT SECRETARIES OF DEFENSE
 GENERAL COUNSEL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
 INSPECTOR GENERAL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
 DIRECTOR, OPERATIONAL TEST AND EVALUATION
 ASSISTANTS TO THE SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
 DIRECTOR, ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
 DIRECTORS OF THE DEFENSE AGENCIES

Subject: Transformation Through Base Realignment and Closure

 As a result of the Quadrennial Defense Review, we embarked on a
comprehensive review of our defense and security needs toward
transforming the force.  New force structures must be accompanied by a
new base structure.  The first step was my request to the Chairman to
direct the geographic combatant commanders to prepare, in coordination
with their Service component commands, draft overseas basing plans for
their respective areas of responsibility.

 Congress authorized a base realignment and closure (BRAC) round in
2005.  At a minimum, BRAC 2005 must eliminate excess physical capacity;
the operation, sustainment and recapitalization of which diverts scarce
resources from defense capability.  However, BRAC 2005 can make an even
more profound contribution to transforming the Department by
rationalizing our infrastructure with defense strategy.  BRAC 2005
should be the means by which we reconfigure our current infrastructure
into one in which operational capacity maximizes BOTH warfighting
capability and efficiency.  I am directing this process begin
immediately, under the structure set out herein.

 Two senior groups, as reflected in the attachment, will oversee and
operate the BRAC 2005 process.  The Infrastructure Executive Council
(IEC), chaired by the Deputy Secretary, and composed of the Secretaries
of the Military Departments and their Chiefs of Services, the Chairman
of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Under Secretary of Defense
(Acquisition, Technology and Logistics) (USD(AT&L)), will be the policy
making and oversight body for the entire BRAC 2005 process.

The subordinate Infrastructure Steering Group (ISG), chaired by the
USD(AT&L) and composed of the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, the Military Department Assistant Secretaries for installations
and environment, the Service Vice Chiefs, and the Deputy Under Secretary
of Defense (Installations & Environment) (DUSD(I&E)), will oversee joint
cross-service analyses of common business oriented functions and ensure
the integration of that process with the Military Department and Defense
Agency specific analyses of all other functions.  The USD(AT&L) will
have the authority and responsibility for issuing the operating policies
and detailed direction necessary to conduct the BRAC 2005 analyses.

 A primary objective of BRAC 2005, in addition to realigning our base
structure to meet our post-Cold War force structure, is to examine and
implement opportunities for greater joint activity.  Prior BRAC analyses
considered all functions on a service-by-service basis and, therefore,
did not result in the joint examination of functions that cross
services.  While some unique functions may exist, those functions that
are common across the Services must be analyzed on a joint basis.

Accordingly, the BRAC 05 analysis will be divided into two categories of
functions.

? Joint cross-service teams will analyze the common business-oriented
support functions and report their results through the ISG to the IEC.

? The Military Departments will analyze all service unique functions and
report their results directly to the IEC.

 Within 150 days of this memorandum, the ISG will recommend to the IEC
the specific functions to receive joint analysis and the metrics for
that analysis for my approval.  The Military Departments through their
representatives on the ISG, as well as the Defense Agencies, should
communicate regularly with the ISG to ensure that their recommendations
are fully consistent with the joint cross-service teams'
recommendations.

 A comprehensive infrastructure rationalization requires an analysis
that examines a wide range of options for stationing and supporting
forces and functions, rather than simply reducing capacity in a
status-quo configuration.  To that end, in accordance with the force
structure plan and selection criteria, the ISG will recommend to the IEC
for my approval a broad series of options for stationing and supporting
forces and functions to increase efficiency and effectiveness.  The
Military Department and the joint cross-service analytical teams must
consider all options endorsed by the IEC in the course of their
analysis.  The analytical teams may consider additional options, but
they may not modify or dismiss those endorsed by the IEC without my
approval.

In accordance with section 2909 of BRAC 90, as amended, BRAC 2005, as
directed by this memorandum, will be the exclusive means for selecting
for closure or realignment, or for carrying out any closure or
realignment of, a military installation located in the United States
until April 15, 2006.  This exclusivity clause does not apply to
closures and realignments to which section 2687 of title 10, United
States Code, is not applicable.  Closures or realignments to which
section 2687 is not applicable will require approval on the basis of
guidance issued by the USD(AT&L).  Competitive sourcing conducted under
the provisions of OMB Circular A-76 may proceed independently.

 In accordance with the direction of Congress expressed in the BRAC
legislation, the Department will not make any binding closure or
realignment decisions prior to the submission of final recommendations
to the Commission no later than May 15, 2005.  The process and structure
outlined in this memorandum are designed to ensure the Department's
ability to provide recommendations by this date and to meet several
interim statutory requirements, including publishing draft selection
criteria by December 31, 2003, and final criteria by February 16, 2004.
In addition, the Department must provide Congress a force structure
plan, inventory, capacity analysis, and certification of the need for
BRAC with the FY 2005 budget documentation.

 I cannot overemphasize the importance of BRAC 2005.  This effort
requires the focus and prioritization only senior leadership can bring.
I am confident we can produce BRAC recommendations that will advance
transformation, combat effectiveness, and the efficient use of the
taxpayer's money.

  Donald Rumsfeld

Attachment
BRAC 2005 Organization