2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Dec 2002 16:05:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] History as it happens

[California]
GUEST COLUMN: History as it happens

The following was submitted by community members of The Mare Island
Restoration Advisory Board

Most of us know that the Mare Island Naval Shipyard is no longer a
military base and that the shipyard closed in 1996 after 143 years of
building, repairing and overhauling ships and submarines. Thousands of
local residents are part of Mare Island's long and distinguished
history.

What we may not know much about is the story unfolding now, history
taking shape during its transition to public and private use, as
environmental cleanup work gets finished and property gets transferred.

The Mare Island Restoration Advisory Board community members have been
involved in the environmental restoration process since 1994. We hope
the following overview will help the readers understand more about
what's been happening with the cleanup, as Mare Island once again
becomes an integral part of the city of Vallejo.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.vallejonews.com/articles/index.cfm?artOID=25639&webpage=79&s=1