2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 Nov 2002 15:57:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Hill AFB Tells Residents of Water Pollution

[Utah]
Hill AFB Tells Residents of Water Pollution
Saturday, November 9, 2002
BY LORI BUTTARS
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

CLEARFIELD -- Jean Watson and Lucille Rene, neighbors for more than 30
years on the same Clearfield city block, were not surprised to get a
letter from Hill Air Force Base officials alerting them that
contaminated groundwater had been detected in their part of town.

But they were less than impressed with the explanation HAFB officials
gave Thursday at a government-sponsored InfoFair at Holt Elementary
School.

"They told us we've got contaminated water," Watson said. "That's
nothing new, we've heard for years and years about how Hill Field is
poisoning up the area. So we just had that confirmed for us, basically."

Clearfield's underground "plume" is the most recent of nine previously
identified contamination areas bordering the base, said HAFB
investigations project manager Steve Hicken. The pollution comes from a
de-greasing agent called trichloro- ethene (TCE), used to clean airplane
engines and military vehicles from the 1940s to the 1970s.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.sltrib.com/2002/nov/11092002/utah/14907.htm