2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 19:39:40 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Navy shift to boost Key West

Navy shift to boost Key West

By BILL KACZOR
The Associated Press
on keysnews.com

PENSACOLA -- Florida and several other Southern states can expect
financial incentives following a prized Navy weapons range's move from
Puerto Rico to Florida, an admiral said Tuesday.

The Navy is shifting exercises from Vieques Island in Puerto Rico to
ranges at sea and bases on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.

"I intend to take a lot of investment that we had heretofore earmarked
and utilized for bases in Puerto Rico ... [and] translate that
investment into this state and the other states," said Adm. Robert J.
Natter, head of the U.S. Fleet Forces Command and chief of the U.S.
Atlantic Fleet.

This article can be viewed at:
http://keysnews.com/292336569541874.bsp.htm