2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 18:48:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Congress Approves Funds for Ship Scrapping

[The following was forwarded by Polly Parks.]

Oct 11, 2002

'Ghost fleet' money approved
House OKs funds to scrap some ships

BY ANDREW PETKOFSKY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Money to scrap some of the most decayed and environmentally dangerous ships in the James River "ghost fleet" was approved by the House of Representatives yesterday.

The money - $20 million specifically earmarked for scrapping ships in the James River Reserve Fleet - is part of the defense appropriations bill reported out of a conference committee of the Senate and House of Representatives Wednesday night, said Sen. John W. Warner, R-Va.

The House passed the $355.4 billion defense bill easily. Senate passage is expected soon.
"This is something I've been working on for a long time," Warner said by telephone during yesterday's Senate floor debate on giving the president authorization to pursue war on Iraq.

Warner has been at the forefront of efforts, along with other members of Virginia's congressional delegation and the state government, to force the federal government to remove the ghost fleet's most dangerous ships.

The approximately 100 mothballed ships are anchored in the James River off Fort Eustis in Newport News.

Seventy-one of the ships are slated for scrapping, officials said, and 16 are so deteriorated as to present a grave environmental danger should they be damaged in a storm.

The ships contain fuel oil and other pollutants although, in some cases, their hulls are rusting and growing weak.

"It is imperative that we work to protect Virginia's communities and natural resources from potential harm," Warner said in a news release. "We are only a hurricane or tropical storm away from a real environmental disaster, and this funding will enable us to begin eliminating that risk."

To view this article in its entirety please click on the following URL:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/more/MGBD21TF57D.html

Aimee R. Houghton
Associate Director, CPEO
1101 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000