2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 9 Sep 2002 19:21:25 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Organizational endorsements needed!

[POSTED BY Laura Olah <info@cswab.com>]

Dear colleagues and friends,

We need your organization's support in our campaign to stop the open
burning of buildings at Badger Army Ammunition Plant!
Please consider adding your organization as a co-signator to the
following letter.  Please include your postal address in your reply.

On behalf of our community -- THANK YOU!
Laura Olah for CSWAB

An Open Letter to Badger Army Ammunition Plant:

We are very concerned about the potential environmental, ecological, and
human health impacts of the proposed open burning of buildings at Badger
Army Ammunition Plant.   Open burning of construction and demolition
materials spews pollutants into the air that affect our health and our
environment.  These pollutants settle in our lakes, streams, soil and
feed crops where they enter our food chain by lodging in animal fat and
dairy products.  As a result, open burning, which is burning any
material outdoors without air pollution controls in place, affects the
health of a wide population.   Smoke from wood and trash contains very
small particles that, when inhaled, lodge deep inside the lungs. These
small particles can cause severe health problems including cancer,
reproductive disorders, skin diseases, heart disease, liver damage,
respiratory and other problems.   Children are particularly at risk.

Cleaning up the Badger Army Ammunition Plant is a difficult situation at
best given all the years of exposure both onsite and in the community to
the hazardous chemicals and waste from decades of explosives
manufacturing.  We are urge the U.S. Army to implement an alternative
approach to building disposal that will not cause any additional
contamination.

 Sincerely,

 Organizational co-signators needed here!
 (Please include your postal address in your reply.)

 --
 Laura Olah, Executive Director
 Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger