2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 9 May 2002 15:15:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Congressmen Dingell and Rahall Urge for Debate on Defense Bill

May 9, 2002

STRIKE THE ANTI-ENVIRONMENTAL RIDERS ON DOD AUTHORIZATION

                VOTE TO DEFEAT THE PREVIOUS QUESTION ON THE RULE

Dear Colleague:

        We urge you to vote to defeat the previous question on the rule
for the Bob Stump National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2003 (H.R.
4546) so that amendments may be offered to strike anti-environmental
riders.   This legislation - while important to our national security
and military preparedness - has been misused as a vehicle to bypass
committee jurisdiction and public process in order to create
unprecedented and unwarranted exemptions to key environmental laws.

        We would clearly have preferred that Members have the
opportunity to vote directly to remove the harmful environmental
provisions from H.R. 4546.  But the Committee on Rules has refused to
give Members that choice.   Our amendment, which was cosponsored by
eight of our colleagues,  would have strategically stricken both section
311 and section 312, which unwisely exempt DoD from compliance with the
Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act, respectively.
Moreover, sweeping changes to these laws are unnecessary:  Section 7 of
the ESA specifically provides for a national security exemption (which
DoD has never invoked) and DoD and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
are close to finalizing an administrative agreement to resolve Migratory
Bird Treaty Act disputes.

                In effect, proponents of these anti-environmental riders
seek to accomplish through the back door of the Armed Services Committee
and a closed rule what they could not through the front door of open
public hearings and careful consideration in the regular legislative
process.   While we fully appreciate the importance of military training
and readiness, we also do not think that DoD, in the very limited public
process to date, has made the case that exemptions to important and
long-standing environmental laws are necessary or that training is
greatly impaired because of those laws.

        In fact, GAO - in a soon to be released report - will inform
Congress that readiness data provided by the military does not indicate
that environmental laws or other "encroachment" by urbanization has
significantly affected training readiness.  To the contrary, DoD
continues to report high levels of training readiness at almost all
units.

        In our view, the House should not be stampeded into gutting key
environmental laws based on illusory and inconclusive allegations by
DoD.   It defies logic that suddenly we should surrender to demands for
new statutory exemptions so that the environment no longer matters to
our largest and most powerful federal agency.

        As longstanding proponents of these critical environmental laws,
we urge you to vote NO on the previous question on the rule on H.R.
4546.

                                        Sincerely,

/s                                                      /s
NICK J. RAHALL, II                              JOHN D. DINGELL
Ranking Democratic Member                       Ranking Democratic
Member
Committee on Resources                          Committee on Energy and
Commerce

Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA)    [Section 311 of H.R. 4546]

The MBTA of 1918, one of our Nation's oldest and most enduring
conservation statutes, sets forth U.S. obligations under the Convention
for the Protection of Migratory Birds with Canada. It also provides
implementing authority for subsequent Conventions with Mexico (1936),
Japan (1972) and Russia (1976) which guide the cooperative conservation
management of North America's migratory birds.

H.R. 4546 would unilaterally exempt military readiness activities from
MBTA requirements. This would compromise U.S. international treaty
obligations and could establish a negative precedent for other signatory
nations to exempt their own activities from such obligations or consider
other forms of retaliation.

This bill would grant the military an unprecedented, far less-restricted
self-regulatory authority. No federal agency or state has such an
authority.

H.R. 4546 would negatively affect migratory bird management. Removing
military readiness and training activities from compliance with the MBTA
would likely increase unreported incidental mortalities. Migratory bird
population estimates might become far less accurate, the listing of
endangered species could increase, and regulated hunting seasons could
be delayed or made more restrictive.

A legislative "fix" is premature and unnecessary. Section 3 of the MBTA
provides broad authority to the Secretary of the Interior to determine
when the incidental "taking" of migratory birds is compatible and to
develop regulations within the law's context. In fact, the Fish and
Wildlife Service and Department of Defense are close to finalizing a
Memorandum of Agreement establishing an administrative process to
resolve migratory bird disputes.

The U.S. has fought in two World Wars, the Korean War, Vietnam, and the
Persian Gulf War with the MBTA in place. Since 1916 only ONE
modification of this magnitude occurred (1997) and that was only after
20 years of negotiation.

Endangered Species Act (ESA) [Section 312 of H.R. 4546]

The ESA requires, with limited exceptions, the designation of critical
habitat for all endangered or threatened species.  Federal agencies are
required to consult with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
under section 7 in order to avoid actions that destroy or adversely
modify critical habitat.

H.R. 4546 would exclude military lands from critical habitat designation
under the ESA, if an Integrated Natural Resources Plan (INRMP) has been
developed.

Blanket legislative exemptions are not needed. Section 7 of the ESA
already provides an exemption for any agency action for reasons of
national security. According to the USFWS, the Secretary of Defense has
NEVER sought a section 7 exemption.

Critical habitat designation has also been precluded pursuant to ESA,
when concerns about the impacts on military training activities were
raised.

It is the current practice of the USFWS to consider excluding areas
covered by INRMPs from critical habitat designation if certain
conservation criteria are met. Contrary to DoD assertions, the Clinton
Administration did NOT determine that installations with INRMPs were
automatically excluded from critical habitat designation.

H.R. 4546 would require the USFWS to substitute an INRMP for critical
habitat if "such plan addresses special management considerations or
protections" with no further explanation or definition of this standard.

INRMPs do NOT provide the same level of protection as critical habitat
designations.

The ESA has been in place since 1973. Our military maintained its
readiness throughout the Cold War and trained for and executed Operation
Desert Storm in 1991 during the Persian Gulf war with current laws in
place.