2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: loc@icx.net
Date: 15 Apr 2002 17:39:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Program saves bundle cleaning contaminated

Organic and volative chemicals will be driven from out of the soil by
heating.  This removes them as a source of contamination for
groundwater.  Burning is still the best way to destroy volatile organic
chemicals.  An appropriately operated burner gives off primarily carbon
dioxide and water (steam), with otherwise complete destruction of most
organics.

Like other thermal treatment technologies, this one will be required to
comply with EPA regulations limiting trace chemicals which make it past
the burner or which are secondary compounds of combustion.  The EPA
limits are very conservative, so risks to the public are negligable.

Elizabeth Crowe wasn't too specific regarding the concerns she had about
the technology, but I hope I've explained how this generally works.  The
vendor probably doesn't really matter, as this type of approach is
basically combining a couple of broadly accepted approaches into one
system.
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee
We've moved!  Please note our new address:
102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830