2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dspehn@tomshepard.com
Date: 7 Dec 2001 19:37:58 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] LA Times-Warrior Past Clings to Ft. Ord

"There is nowhere in the country we know of where a former range area is
being used for residential [purposes]," said James Willison,
environmental and natural resources director for the Presidio and the
former base.

This quote from the LA Times is fascinating - considering that the LA
Times covered the deaths of 2 eight year old boys in 1983 in the
Tierrasanta community of San Diego, California. The former Camp Elliott
is home to 10,000 families. The federal government has spent more than
$20 million to clear unexploded ordnance from the residential area
(Tierrasanta) and a major regional park (Mission Trails Regional Park).
In fact, the Tierrasanta project was the first Formerly Used Defense
Site (FUDS) project in the country. Working with the US Army Corps of
Engineers the community completed
its 5 year review of the initial cleanup last year; the Mission Trails
5year review is currently underway.

CPEO certainly knows about the Tierrasanta project - as does Congress
since it appropriated the funds for the initial cleanup - and the Army
Corps of Engineers. As the lead Tierrasanta community liaison for
unexploded ordnance since December 1983 I have worked with  numerous
officials at the federal and state level, including the ACOE - on the
unique problems encountered in doing a major ordnance survey and cleanup
while 30,000 people are living in the same community.