2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 22:35:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Boxer Opposes Closure Proposal

(from Ian Ray <Ihray@aol.com>)

What's with a U.S. Senator opposing closure of surplus bases?  Surplus
is
surplus.  Un-needed expenditures are un-needed expenditures.  Boxer's
data to
show unfair treatment of California does not cut it.  What is the
proportionate share of the nation's bases for California?  How is that
relevant?  How is proportionality measured - by land area, by money
spent, by
number of employees, etc?

And proportionality is not the only criterion for deciding closure.

Nope. California's 29 closed bases are not cleaned up.  Yep. It'll cost
a lot
of money - maybe 200 million per year for 20 years will not be enough.
How
about stopping the expense and pollution of surplus bases and applying
the
money to the closed bases?  But that doesn't get votes at home.

The reason for a closure-commission separate from congress is to take
the
partisan political vote-getting out of the picture, and serve the
nation's
needs.

The reference to "painful round of military base closures" is more of
current
thinking that necessary actions should be put off because we would have
think about and manage new situations and smaller government.  I say tough.

Ian Ray, Vancouver, WA