2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: 23 Aug 2001 16:44:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Goodman column on UXO cleanup

Though I agreed with Ms. Goodman's words, I fear that is all they are.  What
I hope is happening with entities like CPEO and ITRC, the EOD experts and
those within ACE,  EPA and DoD, is a sober and serious reality of the
dangerous situations communities are living with when a military base is a
neighbor.  In the feeling of safety having neighbors trained to fight
'enemies', the reality is whether a base is closed or active, there remains
issues regarding contamination and danger.  Danger from ordnance and then the

lack of cleaning up after training, contamination to the land and water.

As I continue to learn from ITRC, CPEO, EPA's and DoD's (and a host of
others) websites, I see  dedicated people 'out there' working together and
understanding the financial feasibility issues as well as methods that must
be proven.  The Donovan Blast Chamber was an excellent example of inguenity
regarding cost and safety issues both to EOD experts and the environment.
Accurate records must be kept regarding 'ordnance training' starting
'yesterday' on all active (as well as inactive - the FBI continues fire arms
training on Camp Bonneville) and money needs to be spent on site
characterization methodologies that have proven to be effective.  Technology
must continue regarding proven and cost effective groundwater cleanup. Though

these are only two of the many issues regarding contamination, they appear to

loom large in the 'problem' arena.

Stella Bourassa