2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Jul 2001 21:00:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Irvine Desalter/TCE remediation project

I think the question is: Should TCE or other industrial groundwater
pollutants be cleaned up when the water is not potable for other
reasons, such as saltwater intrusion? At Moffett Field, we did not
insist that high-salt-content water be fully remediated.

At El Toro, if I recall correctly, the TCE plume is not coming from the
same area as the "total dissolved solids plume." The treatment plant is
being constructed where the two "plumes" intersect.

It's also important to recognize that the joint treatment plant is not
designed to remove the VOC contamination from the aquifer. It's purpose
is to make extracted water safe to us.

Lenny

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org