2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 9 Jul 2001 13:44:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] WWI Chemicals Removed from DC Neighborhood

WWI Chemicals Removed From Spring Valley Yard
--Army Unearths Mustard Gas, Variant

By Steve Vogel
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 6, 2001; Page B01

Seven bottles containing dangerous World War I chemical agents have been
excavated
from a home in the Spring Valley neighborhood of Northwest Washington, Army
officials
said yesterday.

Two of the bottles removed from the yard of the property on Glenbrook Road
contained
mustard, a chemical gas that killed thousands of soldiers on the
battlefields of
Europe during World War I. Five of the bottles contained lewisite, a more
deadly
variant of mustard that was developed by scientists researching chemical
gases in
Washington during the war.

The Army began excavating soil from the property on Glenbrook Road after
extremely
high levels of arsenic were found in the soil. The excavation is part of a
large-scale
cleanup of the residue of World War I chemical weapons testing based at
nearby American
University.

For the complete story go to:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24460-2001Jul5.html