2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: isis@hampshire.edu
Date: 11 Jun 2001 17:08:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ISIS-NTEN Listserve

- Are you a user of technical information?

- Have you become a self-taught expert? Have you *had* to learn -- or to
teach yourself -- about cleanup science and technology to keep up with
environmental restoration of the military installation in your
community?

- Do you generate or review reports and documents prepared for military
nuclear and/or toxic waste cleanup?
- Are you a citizen-expert, an "informal historian" or context expert --
someone who knows about the neighborhood, environment and surrounding
area of your local base, installation or federal facility?

- Are you a citizen-scientist who serves the community as an independent
source of advice and expertise?

- Are you a professional expert who works in the arena of military
cleanup and restoration?

- Do you need to ask questions from time to time, about some technical
or scientific detail (or "big picture" issue) of such cleanup?

- Are you a college, community college or university teacher who works
with students on projects and research topics that deal with such
cleanup sites and issues?

IF SO, you should take a look at our new listserve, and *join* with all
the others in our network, as described below. We believe the NTEN
network can be a significant help for the people and communities, indeed
for all the stakeholders, involved with nuclear and toxic waste cleanup.

We at ISIS believe that people in ALL these categories of experts (and
probably some others we haven't thought of as well) are important to
achieving effective, efficient, democratic cleanup. So we have recently
invited all these kinds of experts to join our National Technical
Experts Network, NTEN! The rest of this posting describes how the
electronic "listserve" component of that NTEN will work.

WHO SHOULD SIGN UP FOR THIS LISTSERVE?
The ISIS-NTEN listserve is ideal for you if you have technical
information questions, utilize technical reports, are a citizen
scientist or citizen expert, generate technical information or have made
yourself a technical expert in your community.

DESCRIPTION OF TOPICS TO BE DISCUSSED ON THIS LISTSERVE
The listserve will include information about lessons learned in the area
of military environmental cleanup, tools and information resources,
citizen expert and citizen scientist support (with respect to technical
issues) and discussion on new science needed to respond to various
cleanup issues and concerns.  It is a forum for sharing case stories,
asking for help from other experts and answering the technical questions
of others.

The listserve will also function as an electronic bulletin board to
communicate announcements about relevant conferences, workshops and
citizen forums.

HOW IS THIS LISTSERVE DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS IN THE ARENA OF MILITARY
ENVIRONMENTAL CLEANUP?
This listserve is NOT intended to duplicate any other newsgroups
currently used in the arena of military environmental cleanup.  The
ISIS-NTEN listserve provides the cleanup community with a unique
opportunity to network and communicate with other individuals about
technical cleanup topics.

GUIDELINES
This is a moderated listserve.  Please limit your postings to technical
topics, according to the aforementioned listserve description;
unfortunately, we will not be able to post messages dealing with other
cleanup issues.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE INTENDED TO GENERATE DISCUSSION ON THE
ISIS-NTEN LISTSERVE:
1.  What are the most pressing technical questions facing cleanup in
your community today?

2.  What are your issues surrounding accessibility to technical
information: within your community; at your Restoration Advisory Board,
Community Advisory Board or Site-Specific Advisory Board meetings; in
communicating with personnel at your local federal facility; or
involving any unique situations you have encountered?

3.  Who are you and where are you?  We want to hear your story about how
you obtain your technical information, how you found your technical
advisor and/or how you became a citizen-expert.

WHAT TO DO NOW:
- If you have technical information questions, utilize technical
reports, are a citizen scientist or citizen expert, generate technical
information or have made yourself a technical expert in your community,
the NTEN is for you.

- To join this forum dedicated to technical topics, sign up for the
ISIS-NTEN using one of the following two methods:

- Sign up online at http://isis.hampshire.edu/mil/application.html

OR

- Send an email to isis@hamphire.edu.

ISIS looks forward to facilitating technical information sharing,
interaction and networking among individuals involved in DoD and DOE
facilities cleanup.  We also look forward to YOUR participation in this
important technical forum.  Please contact staff at the ISIS office if
you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Jeanne Stevens
Coordinator, Military Waste Cleanup Project
Institute for Science and Interdisciplinary Studies (ISIS)
Prescott D-1, 893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
Phone (413) 559-5582
Fax (413) 559-5611