2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Vs3trees@aol.com
Date: 23 May 2001 15:08:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] S.Neurath-references

This is a response for Sue Neurath of the Center for Disease Control, who
requested references from a statement I made. I have posted it on the CPEO
list so that the information can be shared with others who may have had the
same question.

REGARDING: FORT ORD CALIFORNIA TOXIC BURNINGS! - The open burning of
hazardous and toxic military waste on ranges to expedite development.

    Statement made:
    "Hundreds of tons of poisonous smoke traveled off the site"
    Inquiry:
    What references can you give me about that statement?

Dear Ms. Neurath,
Sorry this has taken so long to get to you I have been extremely busy helping
to organize our "Say NO to Fort Ord Toxic Burnings!" community outreach
campaign. Regarding your inquiry to my statement "hundreds of tons of
poisonous smoke traveled off the site" which was in a response to a comment
made by LeVonne Stone of the Environmental Justice Network. I am referencing
several sources that I can fax to you if you need them. The first I'll
mention is a letter from Ed Kendig of the Monterey Bay Air Pollution Control
District dated July 27, 1999 to Walter Wong, Director of Monterey County
Environmental Health Department. The letter contained the following. Under
the heading Emissions from Fort Ord Wildfire July 21 - 23, 1999 primary
emissions were CO = 126 - 238 tons (252 - 476,000 pounds), PM10 = 18 - 19
tons (36,000 - 38,000 pounds). An article in the Monterey County Herald dated
Tuesday, August 1997 by Kristy Belcamino contained a statement regarding the
emissions during the August 25th fire which was set by the Army with the
intentions to burn 100 acres but it got out of control and the fire raged
until 700 acres were up in smoke. "One years amount of particulate matter was
detected in one day during that fire". It was also stated that the emissions
traveled as far as 45 miles south down the valley. Much of the emissions were
said to be missed by monitoring devices in the previous burns, which ads more
cause for concern. Also many hazardous chemicals were just not tested for; if
you do not test for it; you won't find it. Lastly, from The California Air
Resources Board CAP-90-007 Pg. 5 in a section with a graph entitled Pounds of
Pollutants Emitted from Burning 10 acres there is noted that if 10 acres of
wheat were burned 171 tons of HC or Hydrocarbons would be emitted, 2052 tons
of CO or Carbon Monoxide would be emitted and 247 tons of PM or Particulate
Matter would be emitted. There were other amounts depending on what type of
crop. What is important to think about in regard to this graph is that these
are true agricultural burns and the land burning does not contain hazardous
and toxic waste to start with as is the case on the Fort Ord land.

Thank you for your inquiry; I know that this was a serious statement.
Something needs to be done in order to stop any additional open burning that
will release more toxic matter into the air we breath. This open burning
creates a problem in regard to the spreading of fugitive toxic dust. Please
let me know if you have any additional questions and please help us here,
near by the Fort Ord Area to stop the proliferation of toxic Military waste.

We are currently involved with a public outreach campaign entitled "Say NO to
Fort Ord Toxic Burnings!" This campaign is designed to educate the public
that the fires planned are not merely Agricultural Burnings but are Burnings
on land contaminated with very hazardous and toxic chemicals that will cause
serious illnesses, cancers, birth defects and death. The public needs to
voice its opposition to these plans. One strong way that we are documenting
these opposing views is by their compilation into a documentary film. These
views are a tool and proof that there is opposition. I hope that you will
join us in this very important work so that we may all breath easier.

    Vienna Merritt Moore,
    Marina, CA
    831-384-7658
    831-384-6764fax