2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Vs3trees@aol.com
Date: 18 May 2001 17:44:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] May 20th Event Needs You!

Event Reminder:

Say NO to Fort Ord Toxic Burnings!
Don't Take Away Any of Our Birthdays!
PICNIC/PROTEST
Sunday, May 20, 2001
1pm - 3pm
Monterey Bay Park
Del Monte Blvd., Monterey CA
across from Lake El Estero Park

The plans for burning the ranges out on Fort Ord are still moving forward and
sadly at an accelerated rate. Firebreaks are being put in and the Toxic Burns
could take place as early as July of this year.

The modest amount of people who are working to stop this can't do it on their
own. I really wish they could. It is clear that if the community does not
show it's opposition; these burns will take place. The EPA, the Department of
Toxic Substance Control, the Air District and local government officials are
saying they are not the ones to stop this. Who then will take care of our
children? A terrible thought to think of but, if your child gets sick and a
physician says to you, "This could be caused by exposure to heavy metals,
toxic chemicals or dioxins." What can you do then? We know that the ranges
are contaminated with large amounts of these materials; when burned these
substances will spread into our community. We also have known for decades
that these chemicals are dangerous. Open burning toxic and hazardous waste is
against the law. The laws can only help you if YOU, the community show your
opposition. Please come to the May 20th Event for your children, for yourself
and for everyone's future.

*PLUS - PEOPLE HAVE TOLD US THAT THEY ARE FUN!
Hear Environmental and Health Speakers: David Dilworth, HOPE-Helping Our
Peninsula's Environment, Lynn Montandon, Response Team for the Chemically
Injured, Christine Bettencourt, Life 2000 and others including Adriane
Oglietti, (12-year-old) activist working towards a safe environment to grow
up in. Enjoy the Music, Food, Face Painting (by the talented Konstanze Mast)
and participate in the making of a documentary film about the opposition to
the Burnings.

ONLY YOU CAN STOP THE FORT ORD TOXIC BURNINGS!
For more Information Contact:
    Vienna Merritt Moore
    831-384-7658
    831-384-6764 fax