2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Vs3trees@aol.com
Date: 16 Apr 2001 16:29:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Response to LeVonne Stone (Environmental Justice Network)

These are additional comments in response to LeVonne Stone's (Environmental
Justice Network) comments dated 4/12/2001 regarding cleanup procedures on the
former Fort Ord, near Monterey, California.

LeVonne,
As I said in my response to your comments I agree with some of the points you
made such as: the water problem in Marina (I live in Marina), the lead and
other heavy metals in the sand and the soil, problems with the landfills,
etc. I think your point about the lack of community involvement is key and
Life 2000 and other groups are working on trying to remedy that situation
with our efforts towards outreach in the community. The Life 2000 group and
some of its supporters have decided to spearhead the issue which is the most
life threatening; that happens to be the Army's plans for open burning. We
are working to stop the burns planned on an area over 30 square miles
characterized as a hazardous, toxic (chemical) landfill of munitions.
Previous burns have documented that hundreds of tons of poisonous smoke will
travel off site and into surrounding communities each day that land on Fort
Ord is allowed to burn. So as I stated in my response, when you ask the Army
to clean up right now! You are giving the Army your approval to burn openly
those dangerous chemicals? You are really asking for the burns because the
only quick way to clean up those ranges is by the burning. Are you pro burn?
It would be more honest to say so if you are. Removal of the ordnance and
explosives is important but it is most important to make sure that whatever
method is used, that that method be safe for the surrounding communities.

Life 2000 has been around since 1992 and has been opposing the Toxic Burnings
for five years now. This same group was essential in the founding of the
group SOAR, Save Our Air Resources in 1998. Life 2000 is responsible for the
two lawsuits against the Army through the Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution
Control District that have stopped the Burnings so far. We are currently
involved with the "Say NO to Fort Ord Toxic Burnings!" Community outreach
campaign. We are out there having regular events to raise awareness within
the public, documenting the public's concerns and creating demonstrations to
the greater community at large revealing that there are many community
members who do not want hazardous and toxic waste openly burned in their
community. Local filmmakers are working with us on compiling interviews with
community members into a documentary film. Life 2000 is not the only group
concerned about the public's health. Before each event, groups are invited to
speak and have informational tables. People from at least four environmental
groups have spoken and many others have been present at the three events held
this year. I have invited you to each of the events. In fact I personally
talked with you on the phone about coming and presenting at one of our
events. But I have yet to meet you.

You said to me" This is my community, not yours." I hope that you grow to
understand that we all have a stake in our community and that everyone's
health can be damaged in the event of a burn on contaminated land.

    Respectfully,
    Vienna Merritt Moore
    Life 2000 Supporter