2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: 13 Apr 2001 17:28:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Bonneville clarification and comment

I find this listing 'disturbing' at best, for the following reason (s):

As a RAB member, I have long been under the impression and understanding
that Clark County's 'plan' is 'solid' and any talk of modification for the
benefit of the military's money is not acceptable.

I have voiced Lenny's same concerns regarding 'one does not go around
collecting soil samples or poking holes into the ground without first
checking for UXO' to all agencies concerned without receiving an answer from
the Army and USACE.

I have grave concerns with the technology (that is lack thereof) and amount
of money the Army says it will take to clean up Camp Bonneville.  I know
that EPA and DOE has worked hard to find 'that' financially feasible method
(s) to help lower costs.  Forgive my sarcasm, but MAYBE if the Army and
USACE had involved EPA, DOE and Clark County in the remediation process from
the beginning, money would not have been wasted upfront.

Regarding the April 16th meeting with Congressman Baird and the Army, it is
mandatory that any and all stakeholders are informed of this meeting in
order to, if nothing else to sit and listen, become more informed of all the
issues surrounding cleanup.  Informing the public should be done through the
local newspaper a WEEK ahead of time, not the same day, and ALL RAB members
contacted with same information.

Sincerely,
Stella Bourassa