2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: evnjustice@redshift.com
Date: 10 Apr 2001 19:50:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF]

>>My name is LeVonne Stone, Community Restoration Advisory Board member, &
Director Fort Ord Environmental Justice Network.

WE DESERVE TO LIVE IN OUR COMMUNITIES WITHOUT THE DAILY REMINDERS OF THIS
HORRIBLE PROCESS AND HOW IT HAS ROBBED US OF OUR HEALTH, HOMES, JOBS AND
FAMILIES.  WE ARE TIRED OF OTHERS MAKING DECISIONS FOR US AND NOT WORKING
WITH US!!!

We are appalled by this latest decision to start building more fences and
more sign on the City of Seaside property that was being used by the US
Army.  This is Environmental Racism right in our faces.  This communities
voices have been silenced. THESE EYE SORES ARE NOT WELCOMED!  THIS IS A VERY
HEAVILY POPULATED AREA!  HOW COME DEL REY OAKS IS NOT BOARDED UP AND FENCED
UP??
I WILL TELL YOU WHY, BECAUSE SEASIDE HAS THE MOST BLACKS, LATINO, POOR!  LOW
INCOME!!! NOW YOU WANT TO PROTECT THEIR HEALTH??? THEY HAVE BEEN POLLUTED FOR
DECADES.  NO ONE IS CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR HEALTH!  IT IS A POWER THING.

NO MORE SIGNS, NO FENCES, CLEAN IT UP, CLEAN IT UP NOW!!!!

COL. KEVIN  RICE, IF YOUR PRIMARY CONCERN IS SAFETY, CLEAN UP YOUR VERY
DANGEROUS CONTAMINATION, EXPLOSIVES, LEAD, LANDFILLS AND ALL OF THE OTHER
DEVICES AND POLLUTANTS AT FORT ORD!  WE WERE TOLD THAT THE POLITICS DICTATED
WHAT AREAS WERE TO BE CLEANED FIRST!  THAT MONEY RULED BEFORE HUMAN BEINGS.
AND BECAUSE OF THE LOW INVOLVEMENT FROM THE IMPACTED COMMUNITY, THEY HAVE
BEEN TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY EVERY, TOM, PETER AND HARRY THAT COMES ALONG!

WELL, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!  WE WILL SAY IT AGAIN, CLEAN UP THE DANGEROUS IMPACT
RANGES.  USE YOUR RESOURCES AND TECHNOLOGY AND CLEAN THEM UP!!

> > I have been involved as a community representative  with the communities
 > >of color in Seaside, Marina, and Salinas, and Fort Ord since the closure,
> > in 1993.  These communities have not been permitted to take an active
part
> > in the CLEAN-UP, nor RE-USE of this Federal Facility here at Fort Ord.  I
> > have even been denied full participation rights, not being allowed to
> > participate in the way that would best serve the affected communities.
> >
> > I have spoken to you by phone on several occasions pertaining to the
> > hazardous contaminants at this BRAC Superfund site.  I and others in the
> > community have many concerns as to why the community RAB was
> >disbanded. If it was to truly represent our communities.  I have
> > Dept.. of Defense regulations stating that, any military base where
> > property is being transferred must have a Restoration Advisory Board.
> >
> > On 6/10/99, the US Army, CAL EPA, CAL Regional Water Control Board, and
> > The Dept.. of Toxic Substance Control, held the third of three meetings
> > that were substituted for the now disbanded RAB. These meetings are
> <continuing now.
> >
> > These meetings have not brought the affected community into the process
> > help make decisions concerning their health, economic recovery, housing,
> > jobs.  This process seems to be only for a privilege few.  Only certain
> > groups or part of the population is being served.  The clean-up process
> > and allocation of land is not inclusive of the EJ stakeholders in these
> > communities.
> >
> > The tick infestation has never been discussed or addressed, which causes
> > Lime's disease.  This has not been made public to the affected
> > communities.  This information is on the Internet.  My question is what
> > test have been conducted since.  There was confirmation of a meningitis
> > outbreak (in the 70's, where about six solders died on Fort Ord).  My
> > information was that the outbreak was in one of the housing areas where
> > woman and children was affected with the disease.  I asked that question
> > when I first got on the RAB.  I was told by the Army Co-chair that I
> > should not spread rumors.
> >
> > We are concerned about the contaminated groundwater, lead in the soil and
> > how it affects African/American children with stunted growth and learning
> > disabilities.  Why don't the human health assessments include people of
> > color? The beach firing ranges are still full of lead casing from the
> > bullets. We know that these areas are designated for outdoor recreation,
> > which includes children, pregnant woman, older adults, and =
handicapped.
> > These individuals are more likely to respond to the lead in their bodies.
> >
> > Let's not even mention the already contaminated landfill, located on
Injun
> > road.  It is the concern of this community that the location is very bad
> > due to the number of housing units adjacent to the landfill.  We feel
that
> > further contamination is taking place due to lead dust and other waste
> > disposed of now.  We feel that many carcinogens and toxins are in this
> > landfill.  I just found out that the big trucks rolling across Fort Ord
is
> > carrying lead and depositing it in the already contaminated landfill.  we
> > were told that this landfill was capped, but now we are told that a
> > portion is left open for this disposal of spent bullets from North-South
> > road.  This is a popular area
> >
> > And what about the burns?  the smoke from what is being burned is
> > contaminated and affects the lungs of adults and children alike.  The
> > Army's school safety program does not include undated information.  I
have
> > spoken about this many, many times.  Information on staying out of
> > abandoned building, (especially since friable asbestos could be present)
> > should be included in these safety presentations.  I am also concerned
> > about the dry cleaning solvents that were used to clean soldiers
uniforms.
> > How are these solvent being disposed of??
> > =20
> > We are also in need of public test laboratories.  People are very
> > susceptible about weather or not their drinking water is safe to =
drink.
> > Especially the Marina drinking water.  Even children say that it =
smells
> > and taste awful.
> > =20
> > we are fighting for our life, our health, and our right to =
participate in
> > the decisions that are being made affecting us.
> > =20
> > We are willing to work with you to achieve this in the interest of a
healthier, >>  Economically sound community. STOP PUSHING US OUT OF OUR