2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: 27 Mar 2001 18:22:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] "Camp Bonneville Park Unlikely"

As a former resident of Clark County and a next door neighbor to Camp
Bonneville, as well as still maintaining my RAB membership status, albeit
living far from WA now, I cannot stress my utter disappointment with the
Army.  The committment has been to clean up the 'mess' left behind.  What
happened to believing in the words a 'man' speaks, particularly when it comes
to our military?

The amount of money to clean up Camp Bonneville has been raging for too
long.  I have listened enough and read more documentation than I care to
think about.  Technologies were decided upon without utilizing other
government agencies, i.e. EPA and DOE.  I have worked with our EPA rep, Harry
Craig, and there is technology available that would lower costs.  How often
we talked around the RAB of using old technology (which costs money) only to
find out it didn't work and then talking of going back to 'square one' and
once again, spending more money.  When is the USACE going to let go of
tradition and total control and work WITH other agencies?

I'm not surprised with this news.  The Clark County Commissioners have been
warned for over 2 years to get serious and more involved with all details
regarding this cleanup.  This is the outcome for not taking the time, energy,
manpower and not listening to the constituents who cared about this county's
safety and health.  More than this, where are the Army officials who made the

statements about cleaning up and being committed to seeing it come to pass?
And when is the serious issues regarding UXO's and groundwater contamination
going to be seen in print instead of what appears to be a smokescreen done by
Public Affairs?  Money is a serious issue but the health and safety issues
far outweigh this concern.  What is it going to take for the people of Clark
County to stand up and fight for what's right?  I fear it will be when one of
their own family members ends up severely maimed or killed.

Stella Bourassa