2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 23:05:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "District OKs study of former weapons plant for food center"

News from Pomona in the Times Community Newspapers
District OKs study of former weapons plant for food center
Pomona board will have site once used by Navy assessed for contamination and
cleanup costs.
By RENE LUNA, RENE.LUNA@LATIMES.COM
http://www.latimes.com/communities/news/pomona_valley/20010314/tiv0012574.html

POMONA -- Pomona Unified School District board members voted 5-0 Tuesday to
spend $120,000 to have a consulting firm assess the feasibility of building a
food and nutrition center at a former Naval weapons plant once cleaned for
hazardous materials.

Pasadena-based Tetra Tech Inc. has been hired to check 10 acres on
Parcel5/Naval Industrial Reserve Ordnance Plant near Mission Boulevard for
hazardous materials and evaluate the potential public heath risks.

"We thought let's have DTSC [Department of Toxic Substances Control] look at
the land. Even though we are not talking about having students on the site, we
want to have it sufficiently clean in case we ever want to have students
there," said Edward Walsh, assistant superintendent of business, before
Tuesday's school board meeting.

Without commenting, school board members approved a contract with Tetra Tech
that increased from $30,000 to $120,000. The original contract was for a
preliminary study of the site, but school board members authorized the company
to do a more detailed study.

continued...
http://www.latimes.com/communities/news/pomona_valley/20010314/tiv0012574.html