2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: bieke@coqui.net
Date: 13 Mar 2001 19:17:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Vieques Digest 3/13/01

1)Premio Nobel, ex Presidente Costa Rica - Oscar Arias en Vieques (a-g)

2) Informe Vieques 11-3-01 (a-g)

3)13-3-01 Viequenses en Tribunal Federal Viequenses on trial  (a-g)

Press Release

San Juan Bishop Roberto Gonz=E1lez and ex President of Costa Rica, Oscar
Arias to participate in Peace Caravan on Vieques

The Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques (CRDV) received
with joy news that the Bishop of San Juan, Roberto Gonz=E1lez and Nobel
Peace Laureate and ex President of Costa Rica, Oscar Arias will participate
in the Peace Caravan that will take place in Vieques this Sunday. After a
meeting with community leaders and the mass at the Catholic Church in town,
Gonz=E1lez and Arias will head the Caravan for Peace organized by the CRDV.

The visit to Vieques by these two important Latin American figures comes
at a crucial moment in the struggle to end the military presence on
Vieques. In recent months, a long list of religious and political leaders
and public figures in Puerto Rico, the US and other countries have
expressed support for this cause: Hillary Clinton; Jesse Jackson; Nobel
Peace Laureate Rigoberta Mench=F9, from Guatemala; the Dalai Lama; world
champion boxer, Tito Trinidad; Puerto Rican major league baseball star,
Carlos Delgado; singer Ricky Martin; well known actor and human rights
activist Martin Sheen; the Governor of New York, George Pataki; democratic
and republican congresspeople, among others. Last week the Bishop of
Chiapas, Samuel Ru=EDz and the Bishop of Caguas in Puerto Rico, Rub=E9n
Gonz=E1lez, traveled to Vieques to hear testimony from the community about
the effects of military contamination and other problems related to
military activity.

"We returned Friday from a successful trip to Washington and the visit by
Bishop Gonz=E1lez and Oscar Arias helps renew our strength to continue with
this long and sometimes difficult battle," said Nilda Medina of the CRDV
and part of the People's Lobby Group. "With the suspension of bombing in
March we maintain a posture of continued pressure and planning for the next
civil disobedience actions, if these are needed," finished Medina.

Contact: Robert Rabin 741-0716

Report from Camp Peace and Justice

Warm greetings from Vieques. On Sunday the 11th of March, more than 300
people participated in the Caravan for Peace, activity that substituted the
4th Human Chain (Fence Embrace) suspended when bombing was suspended for
this month. The caravan started with a declaration from Oscar Arias, ex
president of Costa Rica and Nobel Peace Prize winner. The ex Central
American presidente mentioned that his visit to Vieques had "reinforced his
solidarity and commitment with the struggle here." Arias visited together
with the Bishop of San Juan, Roberto Gonz=E1lez, to learn first hand about
the struggle of our people.

Earlier in the day leaders of the Committee for the Rescue and Development
of Vieques (Ismael Guadalupe, Robert Rabin, Ricardo Jordan), the Vieques
Women=B4s Alliance, Vieques Veterans for Peace and the Luisa Guadalupe
Camp, met with Arias and Bishop Gonz=E1lez to talk about the military
presence and the current situation of the struggle. The ex President of
Costa Rica offered his to help the Vieques cause through his writings and
participation in international organizations like the United Nations.

On 4 March we had a visit from Bishop Rub=E9n Gonz=E1lez of the Caguas
Diocese and the Bishop Emeritus of Chiapas, Mexico, Samuel Ruiz. Both
expressed this solidarity with the struggle of the people of Vieques during
a meeting with community leaders at the Vieques Conservation Trust. The
Bishops had lunch at the Peace and Justice Camp where they heard
testimonies from families of cancer victims and people suffering other
sicknesses related to the military contamination.

The Bishop of San Juan offered a brief messsage and a blessing at the start
of Sunday=B4s caravan, before it passed through the neighborhoods of the
island town, where hundreds of Viequenses with flags and signs calling for
Peace received the approximately 100 cars that participated. The Caravan
stopped at Peace and Justice Camp in front of the entrance to the Navy
base, where a militant piquet washeld and several messsages delivered.
Vieques mayor, D=E0maso Serrano reconfirmed his commitment to continue the
struggle for an immediate and permanent end to military activity here.
Ismael Guadalupe criticized the exaggerated police presence and warned the
Government that - although it took out the riot police - it continued a bad
practice of using the police of PR to protect the interests of the Navy and
criminalize the struggle of our people. Harry F=E9lix, son of Monte Carmelo
leader, Carmelo F=E9lix, sang several of his compositions, one of them
dedicated to Milivy Adams, a 4 year old girl with cancer, symbol of the
horrible consequences of the military contamination for our people.

This was the second time in recent weeks that the CRDV mobilized hundreds
of Viequenses to the PJC to protest the Navy presence. On the 24th of
February, hundreds marched for health from the hospital to the camp,
carrying crosses with the names of fifty victims of the Navy - deaths from
cancer and other sicknesses, people killed by navy personnel o by accidents
with explosives - crosses placed in a "cemetery" created in front of the
entrance to the military base. This "holy place", unfortunately keeps
growing because people call constantly to include names of family members
who have died of cancer.

During the Saturday night vigil of 10 March we listened to ten of the
Viequenses who had returned the day before from Washington, D.C., where
they participated in the People=B4s Lobbying effort. Tens of Viequenses
travelled to Washington during the past two weeks to lobby in Congress in
favor of the immediate and permanent cessastion of bombing. During the
vigil, our lobbyists shared their experiences - positive and negative -
with US congresspeople. They described the effort as productive and very
well organized. Everyone returned satisfied with their work and indicating
their willingness to return if necessary.

This week we will be supporting the women from the Peace and Justice
Camp-CPRDV who will be on trial in Federal Court related to their arrest
last 1 June in the bombing area. Under the direction of Nilda Medina
(CPRDV) and with the special participation of PR heroine, Lolita Lebr=F3n,
this group was the first to return to the area of the civil disobedience
camps in the bombing zone after the massive arrests there on 4 May, 2000.
Ismael Guadalupe, leader of the first group (14 May, 2000) of 54 civil
disobedients to penetrate the military restricted zone after 4 May
(openning a new phase of massive entrances into Navy controlled areas) will
go before federal judge Casellas on Wednesday, 14 March.

We also are prepared to receive this week the visit from the Agency for
Toxic Substand and Disease Registry (ATSDR), arm of the Center for Disease
Control, Atlanta. The agency has a long history of exonerating
contaminating industries and military facilities in communities in Puerto
Rico and the US that confront serious contamination problems. In
coordination with other community organizations, we will denounce the
intention of this federal agency to create the impression that our health
crisis has no relation to Navy activities.

The past two months have been quite positive for our struggle. The
removal of the Riot Police from in front of the Peace and Justice Camp; the
consistent support from the Governor for our position of immediate and
permanent cessation of military activity; the excellent work of the
People=B4s Lobbyers in Washington; expressions of support from important
public figures in Puerto Rico, the US and internationally; the suspension
of bombing in March. The active participation of our people in the
activities organized by the CRDV at the PJC also signal that our community
will not lower the guard. We continue demanding the removal of all police
agents working for the Navy; we will not turn this struggle over to the
politicians of any political party; we continue to pressure the Governor to
maintain a firm position in support of our people; we remain committed to
the use of non violent civil disobedience to deter attempts to resume bombing.

We need much support, solidarity, love and resources to continue the
multiple projects of this struggle for peace. To maintain the Peace and
Justice Camp as a center for protest and other community action and as the
central office of the CRDV, requires a constant investment of human and
economic resources. We receive and house hundreds of people here monthly.
We count on the support of a network of solidarity that extends to many
continentes. We continue to ask for your support through donations to the
CRDV, PO Box 1424, Vieques, PR 00765.

For more information on our work please visit our sections in the =
websites:

viequeslibre.org

redbetances.com

In struggle, in solidarity

Robert Rabin, CRDV

Press Release

Viequenses tried in Federal Court

On Tuesday, March 13 before judge Salvador Casellas in the Federal Court of
San Juan, a group of Viequense women will be tried for their arrest last
June 1st when they penetrated the US Navy's bombing zone. Nilda Medina,
spokeswoman for the Committee for the Rescue and Develoment of Vieques,
directed the incursion with the special participation of Lolita Lebr=F3n.
The group was the first to return to the area of the civil disobedience
camps in the bombing area since the massive arrests there on May 4, 2000.

"We got out to the area where the ecumenical chapel was located, carrying
crosses with the names of Viequense women who have died of cancer",
remembered Medina. "We held a ceremony to conmemorate our 'fallen' women,
we ate breakfast and eventually were arrested by =
military officials."

In addition to Medina, also before judge Casellas will be Viequense women
Norma Morales, Maria Elena Navarro, Ivette Yoland Martinez and lawyer Rosa
Meneses. Vieques artis, Ernesto Pe=F1a and internationally known Viequense
writer, Carmelo Rodr=EDguez Torres, also arrested in the 1 June action,
will be on trial with the group.

Several other trials of Viequenses and people from the main island of
Puerto Rico will take place in Federal Court this week. Ismael Guadalupe,
spokesman for the CRDV, arrested on 14 May last year, will leading a group
of 54 people, the first to penetrate restricted areas of the Navy=B4s Camp
Garc=EDa after the arrests of 4 May. This action began a new phase of civil
disobedience actions with large and small groups entering the Navy=B4s
restricted lands. Guadalupe will be tried on Wednesday, 14 March before
Casellas.

"The Federal Court has always functioned at the service of the Navy against
our people," said Guadalupe. "In this stage of the struggle, they attempt
to intimidate our people with exaggerated fines and punishments of a year
on probation. This Militarized Tribunal cannot stop the march of history,
that moves in direction toward a Vieques freed from the Navy."

Contact: Robert Rabin 741-0716